[Original Post: Dec 31]
The internet has exploded from academics around the country over the Wheaton University’s political scientist Larycia Hawkins who posted on Facebook Dec. 10 that “I stand in religious solidarity with Muslims because they, like me, a Christian, are people of the book. And as Pope Francis stated last week, we worship the same God.” While her sentiment of standing in accord with Muslims by wearing a hijab was not questioned, it was the last statement of worshiping the same God which caused administration to put her on leave.
To catch up on the issue you can read the Christianity Today article. As of a couple of days ago, it seems as talks have come to an impasse. A Washington Post article followed up the story with Wheaton student reactions. Hawkins has had to reaffirm the Wheaton statement of faith four different times showing a history of “pushing the theological envelope” according to Jay Wesley Richards on a facebook post.
While I am interested in how Wheaton will resolve this issue, the more interesting question is the controversy that has sprung up around the question: Do Muslims and Christians worship the same God?
Many have weighed in on this question. Here is a listing of just some of the responses:
Francis Beckwith, Catholic philosopher at Baylor University has affirmed that Muslms and Christians do worship the same God:
- “Do Muslims and Christians Worship the Same God?” Francis Beckwith | The Catholic Thing, Dec 17, 2015
Beckwith follows up here with a roundu
Michael Rea,, concurred with Beckwith:
- “On Worshiping the Same God” Michael Rea | Huffington Post, Dec. 21. 2015
Nancy Pearcey, Houston Baptist University professor of apologetics, quickly responded to Beckwith with a Facebook article:
- “The Wheaton Hijab Controversy” by Nancy Pearcey | Dec. 23, 2015
Former Muslim and author of Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus Nabeel Quershi, emphatically wrote in an opinion piece that “Muslims and Christians do not worship the same God.”
- “Do Muslims and Christian Worship the Same God?” by Nabeel Qureshi | rzim.org, Dec 27, 2015
Dr. Michael Brown who holds a Ph.D. in Near Eastern Languages and Literatures from New York University has also weighed in the topic:
- “Of Course Christians and Muslims Don’t Worship the Same God” by Michael Brown, Charisma News | Dec. 21, 2015
Scot McKnight, professor of the New Testament at Northern Seminary, writes his piece of mind”
Richard Davis, of Tyndale University College in Toronto, Ontario and is a graduate of the University of Alberta (BSc in Evolutionary Biology) and the University of Toronto (MA and PhD in Philosophy), recently posted a response to Beckwith and Rea
- “Will Worshipping Just Any God Do? Reply to Beckwith and Rea” by Rich Davis | Every Thought Captive, Dec. 29, 2015
While not responding the the Wheaton hijab controversy, William Lane Craig has written an article on the topic:
- “The Concept of God in Islam and Christianity” by William Lane Craig | Reasonable Faith
This video is of Dr. Craig’s address to the National Religious Broadcasters annual convention in February 2015 titled “The Concept of God in Islam and Christianity.”: